Friday, August 1, 2008

Walkin' the dog

When Barney was a puppy I’d play with him all the time, throwing a tennis ball and playing tug of war with an old towel. I managed to get all four of his “baby teeth” playing tug of war, I guess that was kind of mean, but I wanted them. lol I still have them, too.

I’d take him for walks all the time too. After he learned to get his food dish, he also learned the difference between “ball” and “leash”. Soon he would be bringing me his leash when he wanted to go for a walk. With lots of practice I got him to walk off-leash at heel. I’d start out with him on leash, and when we’d get on a quiet street I’d let him off leash, and he’d run ahead a little bit. If a car came or if someone walked out, I’d call him to me, and he’d walk next to me. When the car would pass, or whatever, I’d let him go again. Worked great! One of the other things I taught him was to sit when I’d stop, like at a corner or wherever. I’d signal to him that I was going to stop by scuffing my heel on the ground, and he’d sit.

I remember one time we were walking, and I got really mad at him for something, I think he was still pulling on the leash, and I smacked him with it. Oh, the look that he gave me. Such reproach. I don’t know if I ever “corrected” him like that again, or maybe he never needed it.

No comments: